Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros and Cons of My Study Abroad Experience Thus Far

  Pros:


  • Forcing myself to discover what I am really interested in for my future degrees and job.
  • Becoming more independent.
    •   -I am doing this by living the life of a citizen/student here.  That includes getting a taxi/bus ride to school everyday, speaking the language, understand expressions, and cultural expectations.
  • Traveling and visiting other cities in Jordan, along with other countries (during my semester break)
  • Mastering the ever-so-difficult Arabic language
Cons:

  • There is an issue with the water system here.  What does that mean?
    • A:  You are not able to flush toilet paper down the toilets here...because there water system can not handle it.
    • B:  You can not drink the water from the faucet.
    • C:  Water is bought monthly here and can get pricey.  Therefore, you are not able to take long showers.
  • Chocolate
    • I have already expressed my issues with this on Facebook a bit...but basically...I have not found a solid chocolate bar that I am happy with.  Often times, I can only find an off-brand milk chocolate or common brands like M&M, Snickers, Twix and half the time they are so old that they are unbearable to eat.  I would just love to find a dark chocolate with raspberry flavoring in it....hmmm.  Some friends here have said that there is a market that sells international chocolates...I will have to find that place soon, because my nutella jar is almost empty.
  • "Cat-calling"
    • Seriously, A LOT of the men here...they have no filter.  They yell out the window, honk at you, call you "admirable names", stare you up and down until their eyes have looked at every inch of you....it is sickening.
  • Church
    • I am missing my church back home and the services that fill my soul every week!  (I also miss all my friends and family..!)
All in all...I am really enjoying my experience and know all of the advantages that are coming along with it.  I am determined to finish my goals and move on with life after my study abroad.  I am so focused on my goals that I haven't been homesick much at all, yet.  This week will be filled with an exciting trip, as well as the week after.

I will post pictures soon!  Goodnight everyone!  xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment